The RAIN ride

It has been some time since updating but training has been rather on the busy side and have so much to update about. But now that I have come down from cloud 9 from my big ride for the year and I have a slower week in my training I feel I have the perfect opportunity to let everyone know what has been going on with my health and my cycling.

First update, my health.  I have been rather happy and surprised at the improvement have shown recently.  Up till now my resting heart rate has sat in the higher 90's.  When last was checked at the doctors it was 65.  I thought the machine was broken.  My jaw dropped I was shocked.  And most importantly, I have been feeling GREAT!  No sign of episodes and some good energy.

Second update, and I'm sure the one all of you are most interested in hearing about.  How my cycling has been going mainly my big ride for the year.  I FINISHED!  I surely couldn't have done it without my wonderful coach and also my friend who rode beside me the entire way.  Although I was out riding longer than I wanted I'm ok with it because my actual moving ride time was only 9 hours 30 minutes.  Right in the ballpark of where I wanted it to be.  The ride started off without a hitch and I was feeling real strong till about 5 miles from the finish when I started to cramp.  John was wonderful though keeping me going and telling me exactly how to work through it.  About 2 miles from the finish my cramping had virtually gone and I got a new burst of energy have no idea where it had come from.  I took off and finished stronger than I ever thought I could or would.  So now I can mark one more ride and goal off my list, the 160 mile RAIN.

 

Following RAIN it was rather surprising how well I recovered.  From my previous major rides I have typically been whipped.  Not this one.  I felt fresh, energized, and ready to go again.  My coach seems to think that we have started to get onto the right track in my training as well as my nutrition.  I sure hope she is right because I'm ready to train for the next.

What is next you ask?  Well, I am considering signing up for 2 races next year for sure, and hopefully a few others as well.  One is a 12 hr TT in February and the other a 24 hr TT RAAM qualifier in May.  Yes you heard me right, a true RAAM qualifier.  Although I am not expecting to qualify this race but it would be a nice perk I think ;)


Comments

Popular Posts