The Beginning to Now
I started riding in April of 2017. With my cardiologist telling me he wanted me to try to strengthen my legs hoping that would help my symptoms I decided went out to purchase my first bicycle. I never imagined it would lead me to this point.
My first bike was an entry level Liv Avail. I was satisfied with it, because again I didn't realize at that time how much I would fall in love. And I was excited to get out and ride. It was difficult. Barely able to go 5 miles without feeling was going to die. I would watch my heart rate spike farther and farther to the max, not able to find a good way to bring it down. But I was determined to do so. Then I was able to work up to tolerating 10 miles then 15 miles. At this point I started thinking to myself hey maybe I can do this. Then I was hooked. I went back to my local bike shop to trade in my Liv for a Focus Izalco and from there I seem to have taken off.
Soon after that I discovered a wonderful group to ride with, and with their help, encouragement, and my shear will power and stubbornness to stick on their wheels I was able to complete my first metric century in October of 2017. And it was at that point I discovered RAAM and what it is.
RAAM, also known as The Race Across America, is exactly that. A race across America. It starts in Oceanside, CA and ends in Annapolis, MD. Over 3,000 miles and the clock never stops. It is the toughest bicycle race in the world. Only those who qualify are able to race. And that is exactly what I plan on doing.
Now it is May
of 2018. I just had my 1 year cycling anniversary. I have started
working with a wonderful coach. I will be a part of someones crew in
June as they make their attempt in RAW (Race Across the West). And will
be making my first true endurance ride, my longest ride yet, in July
called RAIN. It is 160 mile bike ride across the state of Indiana to be
completed in one day.
Most doubt my abilities. But that only makes me want to achieve my goal even more. I refuse to allow my disability rule my life, I will rule my disability. There have been and will be many ups and downs in my adventure. But there never can be ups without those downs. So come with me along my adventure as I prove to myself and everyone else that even with difficulties in life it is still possible to fulfill our dreams.

